Linn-Mar senior Brandon Ophoff claimed he got a little lucky at the 47th Annual Hawkins Relays at Prairie High School on Tuesday.
It's funny how lucky a guy gets when he combines talent, hard work and determination into great success.
Ophoff shattered meet records in the 110 meter high hurdles and 400 low hurdles, grabbed the state lead in both events, set personal bests in both races and broke Kyle Dunn's school record in the 110 highs.
"I got a little bit of a breeze at my back, a little bit of luck," Ophoff said after his remarkable performance. "I think God was looking over me tonight, that's for sure, because those were some good times. I'm glad today went the way it did."
Ophoff zoomed to victory in the 110 high hurdles in 13.9 seconds, smashing the meet record of 14.42 and breaking Dunn's school mark of 13.96 set just a year ago.
He claimed the 400 low hurdles in 53.49 seconds to snap the meet record of 54.1 that had stood for 25 years while setting another personal record in the process.
"It's great I ran fast tonight, but I have to run fast when it counts," he said.
It will count next week when Ophoff competes at the Drake Relays in Des Moines. The 110 high hurdles will be held on Friday, April 27 and the 400 low hurdles will be staged on Saturday, April 28.
Linn-Mar hurdles coach Tim Stamp credits Ophoff's success to a terrific work ethic, strenuous training and intelligence. He also notes Ophoff was a gymnast when younger, contributing to his great flexibility as he flies over the hurdles.
"He's the most efficient hurdler I've ever coached," said Stamp, who coached his first state hurdles champ in 1982. "He's just a tough, hard-nosed kid."
Dunn, now a freshman at track power Arkansas, won Class 4A state titles in the 110 highs and 400 lows last year. It appeared his school record of 13.96 in the 110 highs might last a while, but it lasted only one year.
Erase Dunn's name and insert Ophoff's.
"That's definitely something that was on my checklist for the year," Ophoff said after breaking Dunn's mark in the 110 highs, "but it was going to be a little iffy whether I could do that or not."
There was no "if" about it Tuesday.
Ophoff performed in Dunn's shadow last year, but he has the spotlight all to himself in the hurdles this season.
"Kyle is the best thing that could have ever happened to me, just being able to be behind him for three years," Ophoff remarked. "I never would have thought that times like that would ever be possible if it weren't for Kyle. He was right in my backyard for three years; (I was) watching him and trying to model myself after him."
Ophoff attacks the high hurdles like those wooden barriers are his enemy.
"You have to attack," he said. "You have to think 'through' the hurdles, not over them. You can't waste time in the air, because you're slowing down."
Ophoff set the pace on a record-setting night at the Hawkins Relays. Six records bit the dust, including a spectacular showing by Timauntay Jones of Jefferson in the 800 meter run. His clocking of 1:56.90 was the second-fastest in the state this year, according to the Iowa High School Athletic Association website.
Jacob Aune of Prairie set a meet record in the 3200 in 9:40.51, Xavier established a new standard in the 4x200 relay in 1:30.62 and the Marion Indians claimed a spot in the record book with a 58.62 showing in the shuttle hurdle relay.
Linn-Mar emerged from a tight three-way battle with Marion and Xavier to claim the team championship with 104.5 points. The Marion Indians finished second in the seven-team field with 98.5 points and the Saints placed third with 92. Prairie edged Jefferson for fourth place, 72-71.
Josh Evans raced to victory in the 1600 meter run in 4:22.73 for Linn-Mar, placing him among the state leaders in the event. The Lions also captured the 4x800 relay.
Craig Murtha doubled in the shot put and discus for Xavier and Alec Clasen claimed the high jump for the Saints at 6-foot-5.
Marion captured the sprint medley and 4x100 relay in addition to its record-setting effort in the shuttle hurdle relay.
Austin Dellamuth won the 400 meter dash for Prairie in a swift 50.39 seconds and Demetrius Harper took the long jump for the Hawks at 19 feet, 11 inches.
Nate Karlan flashed to victory in the 100 meter dash for Jefferson in 10.76 seconds. The J-Hawks also captured the 4x400 relay.
47TH ANNUAL HAWKINS RELAYS
At Prairie High School
1. Linn-Mar 104.5, 2. Marion 98.5, 3. Xavier 92, 4. Prairie 72, 5. Jefferson 71, 6. Iowa City West 68, 7. Western Dubuque 52.
1. Alec Clasen (CRX) 6-5, 2. Isaac Frazier (MAR) 6-4, 3. Dondre Alexander (ICW) 5-10, 4. Jeremy Morgan (ICW) 5-10, 5. Lance Scallon (CRJ) 5-8, 6. Austin Schwartz (CRJ) 5-8.
1. Demetrius Harper (CRP) 19-11, 2. Riley Pfeiler (WD) 19-10, 3. Colton Sanchez (LM) 19-6, 4. DeQuan Coats (ICW) 19-0, 5. (tie) Gabe Kendall (LM) 18-7; Jared Samuelson (MAR) 18-7.
1. Craig Murtha (CRX) 48-9, 2. Zach Bornes (MAR) 48-3, 3. Justin Dolley (MAR) 46-4, 4. Ryan Eivins (CRJ) 46-1, 5. Jack Halupnik (LM) 45-7, 6. Jeff Rhulow (ICW) 44-0.
1. Craig Murtha (CRX) 152-9, 2. Colton Spicer (CRJ) 144-5, 3. Robbie Hanson (ICW) 144-3, 4. Zach Bornes (MAR) 143-5, 5. Zach Berryman (CRJ) 137-8, 6. Sam Manternach (CRP) 137-2.
3200 Meter Run
1. Jacob Aune (CRP) 9:40.51 (meet record; old 9:41.37), 2. Mitch Pritts (CRP) 9:42.70, 3. Ben Schueler (CRX) 10:06.53, 4. Daniel Murphy (LM) 10:10.52, 5. Taylor Mueller (CRJ) 10:10.99, 6. Tyler Chlystun (LM) 10:27.98.
4x800 Meter Relay
1. Linn-Mar (Brandon Decker, Josh Wick, Joe A'Hearn, Devin Bettmann) 8:29.99, 2. Marion (Trevor Hardman, Jordan Garthwaite, Peter Rethwisch, Mitchell Livingston) 8:37.75, 3. Prairie (Isaiah Vlasek, Luke Galloway, Connor Neuhaus, Steven Wallace) 8:40.48, 4. Iowa City West 8:42.98, 5. Xavier (Ben Valentine, Collin O'Connell, Evan Gradoville, Patrick Mullin) 8:44.11, 6. Jefferson (Aaron Carter, Colton Cortez, Trae Gesling, Devin Stone) 8:52.39.
Shuttle Hurdle Relay
1. Marion (Isaac Frazier, Andrew Davis, Cedrick Williams, Taylor Rogers) 58.62 (meet record: old 59.85), 2. Iowa City West 59.03, 3. Linn-Mar (Colton Sanchez, Mike Keiser, Tristan Freese, Brandon Ophoff) 59.06, 4. Western Dubuque 1:00.19, 5. Prairie (Mitch Dellamuth, Keagan Pinter, Jarred Edmonds, Haakon Wilz) 1:02.67, 6. Xavier (Noah Clasen, David
Kirpes, Nick Lang, Josh Nelson) 1:04.43.
100 Meter Dash
1. Nate Karlan (CRJ) 10.76, 2. Derrick Williams (MAR) 10.87, 3. Nick Steingreaber (CRX) 10.93, 4. Nick Ball (CRX) 10.97, 5. Jordan Weber (CRX) 11.08, 6. Dylan Chittick (CRJ) 11.13.
400 Meter Dash
1. Austin Dellamuth (CRP) 50.39, 2. Zach Stovie (CRX) 51.29, 3. Will Fuhrmann (LM) 52.45, 4. Noah Clasen (CRX) 52.48, 5. Trey Sampson (CRX) 52.85, 6. Amani Richardson (LM) 53.05.
1. Xavier (Nick Ball, Brandon Gradoville, Cal Stovie, Jordan Weber) 1:30.62 (meet record: old 1:30.9), 2. Marion (Derrick Williams, Isaac Smith, Cale Cannoy, Devin LeBeau) 1:31.05, 3. Jefferson A (Nate Karlan, Ryan Deerberg, Alex Baxter, Chance Tiedtke) 1:31.71, 4. Linn-Mar B (Tim Wolf, Mason Renner, Ellis McBrayer, Kevin Bogert) 1:34.23, 5. Linn-Mar A (Austin Fleider, Logan Nelson, Nick Suskind, Tristan Freese) 1:34.37, 6. Jefferson B (Jordan Selby, Aaron Gruwell, Tim Larson, William Orr) 1:34.38.
110 Meter Hurdles
1. Brandon Ophoff (LM) 13.90 (meet record: old 14.42), 2. Taylor Rogers (MAR) 14.97, 3. Mike Keiser (LM) 15.00, 4. Andrew Gilbaugh (ICW) 15.12, 5. Haakon Wilz (CRP) 15.21, 6. Josh Nelson (CRX) 15.32.
1600 Meter Run
1. Josh Evans (LM) 4:22.73, 2. Bailey Wetherell (ICW) 4:23.20, 3. Daniel Gardarsson (ICW) 4:25.22, 4. Chase Grabau (LM) 4:27.12, 5. Lincoln Rozeboom (ICW) 4:29.80, 6. Jacob Aune (CRP) 4:47.48.
200 Meter Dash
1. Garrett McDermott (WD) 23.15, 2. Cal Stovie (CRX) 23.36, 3. Jarred Edmonds (CRP) 23.82, 4. (tie) Chance Tiedtke (CRJ) 23.93; Daniel Beard (WD) 23.93; 6. Ethan Herran (MAR) 24.07.
400 Low Hurdles
1. Brandon Ophoff (LM) 53.49 (meet record: old 54.1); 2. Tyler Donovan (WD) 56.17, 3. Matt Feeley (ICW) 56.46, 4. Ellis McBrayer (LM) 56.96, 5. Lucas Vanous (CRJ) 58.48, 6. Haakon Wilz (CRP) 58.91.
1600 Sprint Medley Relay
1. Marion A (Derrick Williams, Devin LeBeau, Isaac Smith, Lukas Mees) 3:36.45, 2. Xavier (Nick Ball, Jordan Weber, Zach Stovie, Brandon Gradoville) 3:40.42, 3. Prairie (Austin Dellamuth, Demetrius Harper, Mitch Dellamuth, Mitch Pritts) 3:44.59, 4. Marion B (Nathan Scherbaum, Cedrick Williams, Arron Davis, Peter Rethwisch) 3:53.60, 5. Linn-Mar (Kevin
Bogert, Tim Wolf, Josh Wick, Will Fuhrmann) 3:58.00, 6. Iowa City West 3:58.19.
800 Meter Run
1. Timauntay Jones (CRJ) 1:56.90 (meet record: old 1:57.7), 2. Jabez Walker (LM) 1:57.28, 3. Kaleb Greiner (ICW) 1:58.57, 4. Greg Sam (MAR) 1:58.94, 5. Ryan Hermsen (WD) 1:59.43, 6. Duggan Trenary (LM) 2:00.58.
1. Marion (Derrick Williams, Isaac Smith, Jared Samuelson, Devin LeBeau) 43.97, 2. Western Dubuque 44.27, 3. Jefferson (Aaron Gruwell, Asim Wallace, Chance Tiedtke, Nate Karlan) 44.41, 4. Linn-Mar A (Austin Fleider, Nick Suskind, Travis Kvach, Tristan Freese) 44.81, 5. Linn-Mar B (Jordan Klepach, Zach Garnett, Gabe Kendall, Logan Nelson) 46.13, 6.
Xavier (Miles Sullivan, Hunter Baldus, Stephen Jones, Logan Clarahan) 46.16.
1. Jefferson (Alex Baxter, Timauntay Jones, Jordan Selby, Ryan Deerberg) 3:26.47, 2. Prairie (Austin Dellamuth, Alex Nelson, Jacob Aune, Demetrius Harper) 3:27.77, 3. Western Dubuque 3:28.64, 4. Marion (Isaac Frazier, Trevor Hardman, Cale Cannoy, Andrew Davis) 3:32.48, 5. Xavier (Ben Valentine, Brandon Gradoville, Noah Clasen, Zach Stovie) 3:34.18, 6. Linn-Mar (Amani Richardson, Josh Wick, Brandon Decker, Ellis McBrayer) 3:36.41.
|< Prev||Next >|